Monday, November 8, 2010

My Reflection!!!! xD

What I have learn about myself:
I have learned a lot of things from this trip and the one thing that I have learned about myself was that I should not take things for granted. In this trip, we went to so many places, seen so many things and experience so many things that we would not be able to see and experience in an urban country like Singapore. One thing that really shocked me was the housing that they lived in in the village. It was so different, so unlike the housing we have seen and stayed in Singapore.While Singapore's houses are built from bricks and cement and some even more expensive materials, the houses in the village are built from just wood, sticks, bamboo, dried leaves and for the better ones, zinc. Bricks and cement are used only for the more privilege ones or for the community. For example, the village school. Not even all parts of the village school are made up of bricks, for those parts of the school where there is not even enough bricks, they would used either zinc metal plates to act as their roof or wooden planks. So as compared to the housing we have in Singapore, I really should not take things for granted.

What I have learn about Cambodia:
I have learned many things from Cambodia. My first impression of Cambodia was actually not THAT pleasant. That was when we first came down the plane and into the airport. You know what that means..... Custom Immigration!!!! Yeah..... Actually, I don't expect the people working there to be happily smiling and laughing away like in Singapore because I do know that they are a very conservative country. However, I certainly did not expect the people to be working with a scowl on the their face!!! Seriously!! I'm not kiddin'!!!! The atmosphere in the Custom Immigration is seriously freaking tense..... There was NOT A SINGLE SOUND at all, except for the stamping of the chops on our passport. However, all of these first impression flew out of me when we set off on the road. It seems like the local Cambodians are not like the people in the airport, so solemn and depress. They are the complete opposite!! They are so friendly and waved as our bus passed by them, which is something that us Singaporeans would never be caught doing. Another thing I had noticed about Cambodia was that they held a very positive attitude towards life, they have the courage to lift their heads up and faced the next day with hope and positivity, despite around 90% of the Cambodians have suffered and lost many of their family during the war which ended only recently,around 2 decades ago. That is something that we Singaporean really had to learn from them, seeing from how many suicide cases we have every year, those Singaporeans really do not cherished their lives. Every time something unfortunate or undesirable happened to them, they just give up their lives without thinking how much it would hurt their loved ones and family. One example is the children from the Farm Orphanage, they all look so happy and looking forward to the next day even though god knows what kind of horrible past they had before they were send to the Orphanage.

What I have learn about my friends:
From this trip, I have really learned and understand more about my friends. Surprisingly, I found out that some of the girls in this trip are very emotional when we are leaving the Farm Orphanage. They were like sniffing and bawling and crying their hearts out. I also met a lot of new friends in Cambodia. They taught me a lot of things such as basket weaving and apsara dance. The thing I have learnt most was teamwork. Since we are not allowed to go anywhere alone, we always have to stay as a team. So it means that we have to keep a lookout for one another. 

Well.......this is my reflection......uh......I seriously enjoyed this trip..........uh.........Thanks?
---------------------Elaine Goh---------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment